Translate

Friday, February 16, 2018

Social Issues Today: Body Image and the Christian

Insecurities about our body-image often mask the real issue common to male and female, and prevalent the whole human race since the fall of Adam. The real issue is shame of our appearance, body image, or as scripture says, "Adam and Eve knew they were naked and they were ashamed".
Women seem to be more prone to being ashamed of their body image than men but it does affect both sexes.
I personally believe the answer to developing a healthy body image are:
1) believing that God loves us just as we are and that's all that really matters and 2) Examining and renewing our hearts/minds for the elements of shame that drive us to hide our true selves from other people.
That's easier said than done because it can take months or years to transform our mind into being comfortable with who we are in our body image and our sexual identity (sexual identity has nothing to do with activity, but how we see ourself as a man or woman). The internal examination might go something like this for a man or woman.
Am I comfortable with myself as a woman?
Do I accept myself as a man?
Am I rejecting myself as a man or woman? If so, why?
Does God love me as a man (if youre a man) or a woman (if you're a woman)? If he does, then why do I not agree with him and love myself as God loves me?
If I am standing before God naked and flawed, is he ashamed of me or does he love me in my nakedness with flaws? (Heb. 4:13)
I'm doing a study on shame and discovered that when Adam and Eve knew they were naked it meant that they knew that the other one knew that they were naked; and that's what made them feel ashamed. This consciousness of what others think of us is something that's carried over into today and throughout all history. Human beings are self conscious about what we think others are thinking about us; we believe others can see our nakedness and flaws even if they can't and it makes us ashamed of who we are.
In other words, we feel defective and believe that We are flawed.
Change for a Christian is a process of renewing our mind and agreeing with God's love for us flaws and all!
God came to Adam and Eve to redeem them because he loved them; He did not even mention their nakedness to them, however, they mentioned their nakedness to him because they feared exposure to one another and to God.
He approaches us in a similar manner in our garden, wherever that Garden may be. God is not ashamed of our nakedness but rather he calls us to himself, embraces us, cleanses us by his blood, covers our shame with His mercy and righteousness, and accepts us as we are and begins the process of restoring us from the toxic shame that was passed on to us from Adam and Eve.
Just food for thought
(Scripture references: Gen.2&3; Hebrews 4:13; 2 Corinthians 3:18)
--------------------
Disclaimer: 
I’m not a professional counselor yet and so none of what I say or write should be construed as counseling or therapy. I’m posting as a pastor with some experience in pastoral counseling and as a Graduate Student in a professional counseling program who also has a B.S. in Psychology.
If you are having issues with your body image, or other mental health issues, I suggest seeking the services of a professional therapist.*

No comments:

Post a Comment