Translate

Saturday, February 3, 2018

FUNDAMENTAL ATTRIBUTION ERROR

August 2017
This is when people attribute problems in a persons life as being due to character flaws while ignoring the role of external or situational influences for the problem.
Well, me oh my, I have lived this one over the last month. I didn't quite realize it until someone said I was playing the victim and being negative. It angered me so much that I lost it for a few minutes because I knew that they were ignoring the external forces that were involved in my situation.
Word to the wise. Set boundaries on your life or people will have you believe the reason you walk funny is because you have a corn cob shoved up your rear rather than because you sprained your ankle!
Yeah, I know that's not very technical language for a psychology grad and Masters student, but you get the point.
A great scriptural example of this cognitive error is found in Joh_9:2 "And his disciples asked him, saying Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind "?
The disciples thought that the man's illness was due to a character flaw in the blind man or his parents, completely ignoring that physical illness can be caused by genetics or the fact that we are all born into this world with an imperfection of some sort.
The answer of Jesus must become our answer also.
John 9:3 Jesus answered, "It was not that this man sinned, or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.
If you are going through negative circumstances, there is no sin in talking about them because they are real and not an illusion. Going through troubles is not an indication of unbelief, lack of faith, sinfulness, or a character flaw. But every negative circumstance is impregnated with an opportunity for God to work a miracle in our life.
We can't avoid someone consciously or unconsciously practicing the fundamental attribution error towards us, but we can avoid agreeing with them and agreeing with Gods love and promises that all things work together for our good and that no negative thing in this life can separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus. (Romans 8)
Father, thank you that you have forgiven me all my sins and nailed the old man to the cross and nailed every character flaw to the cross. Thank you that you no longer see me after the flesh but according to the new man that you have created in Christ. Thank you that you are working in my life to change my beliefs, change my motivations, change my determination and resolve, and change my worldview. 

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment